How "Number of previous backups to keep" feature is implemented?
This number means how many successfully created backups to keep when a scheduled job is executed. When a scheduled backup is successfully created, a file named .backupcomplete is created to indicate a successful completion of the process.
A scheduled backup first creates an image and only then looks for old images to delete. Only successfully created backups (those having .backupcomplete file in their folder) are considered as candidates for removal. Normally if the creation of the backup failed, the co-responding .ADI file is removed at once, so only log files will be left in the backup folder for subsequent analysis.
Disk image enumerates all existing backups excluding the one just created and deletes the oldest, keeping only specified number of them.
For example, if "Number of previous backups to keep" is set to value of 2 and there are two existing backups, a third backup will be created, then Disk Image will encounter old two backups (the last one will not be counted) and since this number is equal to requested one, no actions will be performed, effectively leaving 3 backups. The subsequent backup will find 3 old existing backups, so the oldest of them will be deleted, leaving again 3 backups — 2 old ("previous") and one just created.
When "Number of previous backups to keep" is set to 0, it will lead to removal of all old backups, leaving only the recently created one.
Click here: Technical Questions
- Does Active@ Disk Image support Windows 2003 Server/SBS (Small Business Server)?
- How do I make a bootable Rescue CD?
- Is the Windows Vista Operating System supported?
- Can a Backup Disk Image be restored to a disk using another size rather than its original size?
- Can multiple PC disks or partitions be imaged at once?
- How can I know that an image was created successfully and contains data?
- Does Disk Image support automated disk imaging?
- Is it possible to restore selected files from the Backup Disk Image?
- Is it possible to restore selected files from the RAW Disk Image?
- Can a Disk Image be saved or restore from Network share?
- Can a Disk Image be written to CD/DVD or USB hard drive?
- I started the Rescue CD and need to restore an image from a CD/DVD. How can that be done?
- Does Active@ Disk Image work under Windows 98 or Windows 2000?
- Why do I get the error message "The file is not the last file of multi-file archive. . . " when I try to open an image file?
- What does it mean when I get the error message: ". . . call has failed. HRESULT = . . . " ?
- Why do I get a message that a drive cannot be locked while creating an image?
- I have deleted my system partition and I want to restore an image that I made earlier. I've had trouble with other backup programs not being able to restore an image completely and it won't boot.
- How "Number of previous backups to keep" feature is implemented?
- Is it possible to store an image to a bootable USB memory stick?
- When attempting to create an image, the following error appears: VSS_E_MAXIMUM_NUMBER